- Use Hand sanitizers:
- Use hand sanitizer mainly alcohol-based (should contain approximately 60 %alcohol) because alcohol dissolve the lipid envelope of the virus and inactivate it.
- Apply sufficient amount of sanitizer to the palm, rub it across both hands, front and back and fingertips.
How to properly wash hands?
- Proper washing of hands takes about as long as singing “Happy Birthday” twice
- Don’t touch eyes, nose and mouth
- Hands easily become contaminated with viruses because hands touch many things and surfaces and can frequently transfer the virus to eyes, nose or mouth. From there, the virus can enter the body and make us sick.
- Often clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
- Maintain good respiratory hygiene:
- Cover mouth and nose with flexed elbow or tissue during sneezing or coughing.
- Discard the used tissue immediately in a closed bin.
- No spitting in public.
- Virus spread through droplets and maintaining adequate respiratory hygiene provide protection against viruses.
- Be at Home if not Well:
- Stay at home if not well, even with mild symptoms like- Headache and slight runny nose.
- Seek proper medical care and advice and always share proper medical and travel history with healthcare provider.
- Use of Face Mask:
- People taking care of sick, healthcare workers and individuals with symptoms of COVID-19 should always wear face mask because mask can reduce the chances of secondary transmission.
Dr Swati Mehra